The oldest organization in St. John’s Church is the Ladies Aid. Founded on February 9, 1888 with the purpose of growth in Christian knowledge, Christian service, and Christian fellowship. It has continued down through the years, ever active for the welfare of St. John’s ever interested in and supporting the work of the church in general.
During the church history, the Ladies Aid has shouldered its share of work. The manual, electric Schantz organ is a gift of the Ladies Aid. Our Ladies Aid Members a re responsible for the cleaning the church. We try to place flowers on the altar each week. We share in the cost of providing the devotional booklet, Meditations for the members of the congregation.
Our ladies work outside the congregation, include the support of the visually Handicapped, Michigan Lutheran Seminary.
This group currently meets on the last Wednesday of each month at 12:30 p.m. Meetings begin with dessert, then a Bible study and the business meeting.
The Lutheran Women's Missionary Society (LWMS) is an organization for the women of the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod (WELS). It was organized in Winona, Minnesota, on June 27, 1964. WELS congregations in an area join together and form a circuit. They have their own elected officers and hold rallies twice a year.
St. John's is a member of the Alpha circuit, along with 30 other southeastern Michigan churches. The St. John's LWMS was formed in 1965.
The purpose of the LWMS is: "To increase interest in and to support mission endeavors which are part of, or in interest of the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod".
As WELS women we believe that Jesus was speaking to each of us when he directed his disciples to"...go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age." Matthew 28:19-20.
To this end we freely give of the time, talents and treasures with which God has blessed us. Our LWMS supports: The Apache mission, Befriend a Missionary Program. For additional information please visit: http://www.lwms.org/
click here to go back to the top
The Men’s Club was founded on December 11, 1929, when the men of the congregation met at a banquet, furnished by the Ladies Aid Society of the church. After the banquet, thirty men signed as charter members, adopted the name "The Men's Club" of St. John’s Lutheran Church of Northfield," and selected for their officers.
The first formal meeting of the club was held January 14, 1930. This time the officers were asked to prepare for approval the constitution and by-laws of the Club. These were fully approved and adopted at the meeting on December 9, 1930. The object of the Club is, first, to assist in fostering good fellowship and a spirt of mutual helpfulness among our men; second, to foster an active, loyal, and intelligent interest in our church and its doctrines.
During the course of the years, the Men's Club has made many contributions to our congregation. These are few that should be mentioned: the first duplicator and typewriter, bought and paid for the first set of folding chairs and tables for the basement, installed the septic system and lavatories in the church, put the tile floor in the basement, and furnished labor and material for the acoustical ceiling and flush lighting in the basement, installed the outside lights, plus many other smaller projects.
For the past several years, their efforts have been channeled to support Huron Valley Lutheran High School and, with the help of the Ladies Aid, have supplied the devotional booklet, Meditations, that is given to each member.
This group currently meets on the Tuesday of each month at 8:00 p.m.
Young People’s Society
This group was organized in June 1926 and has the following goals:
1. To assist in keeping our young people with our church.
2. To furnish an opportunity for education, especially pertaining to the Lutheran church.
3. To foster Christian fellowship and sociability among the young people of the church.
4. To provide wholesome entertainment.
5. To assist in the charitable endeavors of the church.
The Youth Group meets not only for play, but also for study of God s Word. This group currently meets the second Sunday of each
month beginning at 9:15 a.m.